Erstes Konsortium (Nation)
25,009 CE - Present
The United Federation of Star Systems (often abbreviated as the UFSS or, more commonly, the UF) is a superpower located in the Via Sagittaria Galaxy. It has the second highest population of any nation within Via Sagittaria and the highest economic output. It has sovereignty over 10.9 billion stars, but has about a sixth of that as actual colonies. It has control over a large portion of the Ouranir Galaxy and a large number of stars in Via Lacrimosa. Its capital is Thalsiedeln. The nation is made up of 106 divisions each with limited self-governance capabilities. In the past, the nation has had a reputation of imperialism, however, this has mostly abated as it now mostly concentrates on colonizing its own territory.
Capable of influence on the level of the Local Universe, the Federation is only outmatched by a handful of nations such as Sagittarium and the Vaspujian Federate League. Historically, the UFSS was the leading member of the Confederacy of Borealis, however, it has lost almost all of its influence to other powerful civilizations near to it.
The precursor state to the UFSS formed in 4 CE as a monarchical state centered on humans. As time went on, the nation became increasingly democratic until entirely reforming itself into the nation as it exists in the present day. The United Federation of Star Systems was formed in 25,009 when the territory controlled by the Erstes Konsortium was reorganized into a constitutional Aristocracy ruled jointly by a parliament and the Spielmann Line. After a brief internal conflict between pro-democracy and loyalist factions, it saw a period of growth and reform spurred by the success of its nearby fully democratic neighbors. It was a founding member of the Confederacy of Borealis.
As the Confederacy expanded, so did the UFSS. It formed various colonies in both the Via Aurum Nebula and the Via Lacrimosa Galaxy. While losing the colonies in Via Aurum, the UFSS maintained its presence in Via Lacrimosa. The UF would continue increasing both its economic and military influence for millennia, especially when it comes to influence in nearby galaxy groups. This influence eventually caused the War of the Ancients as the UFSS violated the sovereignty of the Quintet Puontari Federation. The war went on to become the most expansive the UFSS and the Confederacy ever fought. Due to the aggression of the UFSS causing the war, the Confederacy ended up dissolving the UF military and seizing all of its assets and putting newly established "Confederal Military." To this day, the UFSS has no ability to make military decisions of its own.
The United Federation of Star Systems is a Federal Republic and a Representative Democracy with three branches of government including a bicameral legislature and three heads of government in the executive branch. It is a founding member of the Confederacy of Borealis as well as the Intergalactic Council and International Anti-Apotheosis Agreement. While originally a principally human nation, immigration from various surrounding nations have made it a fairly diverse. The UFSS ranks highly in international measures of economic freedom, education, and basic rights. While most certainly possessing a high quality of life as well, it does fall behind neighboring human nations for average wealth. It also fares very poorly on wealth inequality indexes, with a GINI coefficient of 0.71, by far the highest wealth inequality of any democracy in its galaxy. It is currently in the process of "Federalization" in which the member states of the Confederacy of Borealis become one cohesive nation.
United Federation of Star Systems
|Thalsiedeln, Petra, Ysi, Albedo, Moúdhroneos, Yui|
|Federal Republic||Social Democracy|
|901/1000||160.281 Nonillion C-Units|
The Erstes Konsortium was a powerful monarchy occupying a large portion of the territory from its precursor nation, the Yohjan Confederacy. It had one of the largest populations and economies of any nation during its height, so much so that it easily conquered the largest satellite of Via Sagittaria, Ouranir. For over twenty millennia, the Kaisers ruled the nation virtually unquestioned, with only the occasional rebellion.
The first major opposition to the Kaiser came when pro-democracy movements began popping up all across the nation. Prompted by the success of a close democracy, Vanaheimr, large numbers of the Konsortium's citizens began rallying for democracy. In addition to the citizenry, a fair number of lords and ladies also supported the transition to democracy as a means to limit the Kaiser's power. The Kaiser at the time, Aaron V, simply gave into their demands, entirely uninterested in fighting the majority of the populace. He had the nation give him an incredibly generous pension, which would be hereditary, and made sure that the many assets of the crown would be maintained by a holding company of the same name. In 25,009 CE, the Kaiser and the majority of the noble class signed the Treaty of Petra which would establish the United Federation of Star Systems. The aristocracy maintained the rights to their possessions while the people got to control laws which affected them.
When the United Federation of Star Systems formed, the galaxy had just recently recovered from The Great Empyreal Crusade, a war which caused the entire galaxy to band together to defeat The Empyrean. It emerged in a galaxy which finally had a concept of international cooperation after millennia of chaos. The UFSS has a natural ally in the nation of Vanaheimr, a similarly human and democratic nation fairly close to the Federation. While the UFSS was most certainly far behind Vanaheimr in terms of freedom and democracy, they still both banded together against the mostly undemocratic galaxy.
The United Federation of Star Systems, as the name implies, is a federal republic in addition to being a representative democracy. Federal statutes and laws supersede any lower legislation, although its divisions have been known to sue the Federal government in Confederate Courts, regarding the Confederacy as a more detached government. Citizens are subject from anywhere from two to thirteen layers of government depending on where they live.
The UFSS divided into prefectures, provinces, realms, wards, and oblasts, each one distinct in their powers of self-governance. Currently, there are over 106 of these largest divisions. Each one is divided into smaller divisions universally called regions, which are, in turn, divided into smaller areas that vary between different divisions. On the smallest scale exist governorships, local governments that control singular planets (although some planets are divided among multiple governorships).
First Level Divisions
At the highest level exist several divisions only subject to the Federal government.
- Prefectures are given fairly broad self-governance power. They have their own heads of state and governance, called "prefects" that mirror the duties of the president of the UFSS. They are required to have constitutions of their own as well as a congress made up of elected representatives. The oldest prefectures existed under Cassiopeia Consortium and were known as "Margravates." These old borders remain as remnants of pre-Confederate history.
- Provinces are regions with relatively limited self-governance capabilities owed to a smaller population or lack of infrastructure for doing so. Unlike Prefectures, which gain their power from the Constitution, the legal power of provinces was given to them by Congress, meaning that it can (and does) vary from province to province. They can be thought of as "proto-prefectures" as almost every prefecture admitted after the UFSS' creation was, at first, a province. Provinces are ran by provincial councils and have no head of state or government.
- A realm is an area controlled by what is known as a "third party." These third parties could be anything from noble families to corporations. Choosing to live in these areas is mostly done when employed by these entities, as they are otherwise devoid of inhabitants. The Congress has the power to reorganize provinces at any time, up to and including dividing their territory into realms. The Congress usually grants rights to realms to organizations seeking to develop an area while also avoiding a large amount of the taxes that come from operating in other areas. Realms are typically only made up of one thousand stars at the largest.
- A ward is a division containing exactly one planet or system. They are areas, such as Petra or Thalsiedeln, with populations so great that their numbers would drown out the voices of any Prefecture they would otherwise be in. To give people in sparse areas, that often have different needs, a voice, these worlds are given their own division not part of any other. In all other ways they are exactly the same as Prefectures.
- Oblasts are regions unique to the Ouranir Galaxy. The people of the Ouranir Galaxy have far more self-governing powers than any Province. The Interstellar Systems of Ysau is the largest example of which. Oblasts have total control over regulations, economic laws, operate their own military (called a militia), receive limited representation in the Confederacy, and have the right to create divisions such as realms without Congressional approval. Their power is granted to them by the Constitution just as provinces are. They are required to have an open border with the UFSS, pay tributes to the UFSS, and its citizens pay a relatively small tax.
Most First-Level Divisions are divided into smaller divisions with less power than the first-level divisions possess. The name varies, but the most common division of this type is the "Parish." Parishes generally handle small affairs. Parishes are the divisions in which representatives in the Congress represent. They vary in size from several star systems to larger than many prefectures. Parishes have the power to divide themselves into smaller subdivisions as well as build local infrastructure.
The Federal Government is divided into four "houses," each with different powers. The People's House has representatives directly elected by the people, The Senate has officials appointed by the governments of Prefectures, The Executive's House is made up of Senate-approved officials making up the President's cabinet, and the defunct Kaiser's House. These houses make sure that no one body has most of the power in the government. Laws need the approval of 2 houses to pass (while historically they needed 3). The President is the leader of the Executive's House, with the other members voting with the president most of the time.